Netherlands Dog Rescue offers a microchipping service at a cost of £10 per dog.
To arrange an appointment for your dog to be microchipped, call Jeanette on 07786 292104
Our microchips are registered with Anibase: ( http://www.anibase.com/)
Why microchip your dog?
- It is a legal requirement in the UK
- According to Pets Bureau 2500 dogs go missing in the UK every week.
- Sadly, many of these dogs, much loved, lost pets, are found and are taken to local dog pounds. If you do not claim your dog within 7 days and the pounds are full with stray dogs, unless taken by a rescue, YOUR DOG WILL BE PUT TO SLEEP
- IF YOUR DOG HAD BEEN MICROCHIPPED YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN REUNITED AS SOON AS THE DOG WAS PICKED UP.
- Lost un-microchipped pets are near to impossible to reunite.
- Although as an owner you are legally obliged to have your dog identified with a collar and identification tag these can easily be torn or removed.
- The microchip is a small electronic device the size of a grain of rice
- It is inserted between the shoulder blades
- The process takes seconds and there is no need for anesthetic
- When scanned by a vet, dog warden or rescue centre, a serial number unique to your pet is displayed
What to do if your dog goes missing
However careful your dog may go missing at some point during its life
Here are some steps you can take in order to find your best friend;
- Contact the local dog warden, dog pounds, veterinary surgeries, and rescue centres (remember dogs don’t know local boundaries and can easily stray into another local authority so check adjacent areas)
- Contact the local police (non-emergency number). Loose dogs can cause a traffic accident, and must be reported. However the police are no longer required to take in or deal with stray dogs.
- Put ‘Missing’ posters in public places (local shops, vets, lamp-posts, restaurants, supermarkets etc)
- Check and register your dog with ‘Lost and Found’ Pet websites. The main ones are:
Useful phone numbers
Mount Pleasant Kennels, stray pound (Rotherham / Doncaster area): 01302 722748
Barnsley Dog Warden (Regulatory Services): 01226 772468 or 01226 772540
Cliffe Kennels, local stray pound (Barnsley/Wakefield area): 01226 762391
RSPCA Sheffield: 0114 2898050
Sheffield Spring Street Pound: 0114 293 0362
Sheffield Dog Warden: 0114 203 7410
Rotherham Dog Warden (Streetpride): 01709 336003